5.3L Chevy Motor Swap – Corvette C6 Headers

Now I decided to test fit the headers… when I put them up to the motor on the drivers side, the first thing I noticed was that one of the bolts for the stock manifolds had broken off in the head…..NOT GOOD!  So, I had to come up with a way to get that thing out of there and then get some good grade 8 bolts to replace the stock bolts.


I went to a local hardware place (Fastenall) and found a bolt extraction set… this worked wonders and was really easy to do…all I had to do was drill out the center of the bolt just a little bit.   BE CAREFUL when you do this because you don’t want to get off-center and damage the threads in the head… (this is an aluminum head btw) if you did that you would have to tap the head to get a new size bolt for that one area and that would just stink!


Next step… test fit the headers….OOPS…the motor mounts from Advanced Adapters are not clearing the Advanced Adapters headers…how weird is that?   So, I had to get creative here, I just decided to notch the motor mounts to make some room for the headers to drop behind them. Pretty easy work with a 10k rpm grinder and cutoff wheel!




It’s really close, but it won’t move and there’s plenty of room and the mounts are plenty strong still… DONE!


Looks pretty nice, but I decided not to leave them painted that color, I painted them flat black instead…

Corvette C6 Headers On 5.3L Chevy Swap in Jeep

OK, UPDATE as of February 26, 2012.  I decided to go with Corvette C6 headers instead of the ones you see above from Advance.   The primary reason is that I wanted something with the O2 sensor holes ready to go so I wouldn’t have to try to do something with the Advance headers, PLUS I wanted something that dumped a little higher so it would be easier for the exhaust guys to get to  and have the studs ready to connect.  Plus the C6 headers should give as much of a power boost as these headers.  SO, I did some looking and found 2 different headers from different sellers on ebay.  Both headers were from 2007 C6 corvettes.   Here’s what it ended up looking like:



After the wire wheel and some header paint:




SO, I’m VERY happy with this decision and they dump MUCH higher (a few inches will be MUCH needed when they have to bend the exhaust pipe on the drivers side to get it to fit between the frame rail and motor).  Can’t wait to get this thing going!


Very pleased with the way these turned out, and the good news is, they work PERFECT for this swap… plus they’re cheap and plentiful if you know where to look!

On to cleaning the fuel injectors…